Shreya Was an Organ Donor
Shreya gave the gift of life and sight to many. The number continues to grow. Recipients are able to lead more active, healthy, and longer lives.
A few learning points:
- Cornea transplants bring vision to those who cannot see.
- Transplantation of donated bone is the most widely performed transplant surgery done today. Donor tissue is used to repair bone defects, heal fractures, and stimulate bone growth after severe trauma, bone cancer, or crippling infections of the bone. One bone donor can help more than 50 people.
- A recent medical advancement is the transplantation of connective tissues such as ligaments and tendons.
- Donated skin is used for severely burned patients and to reconstruct damaged tissue.
- The transplantation of aortic and pulmonic heart valves is a lifesaving procedure for patients suffering from inherited heart defects or heart damage due to infection.