Distraction-free Driving Clubs
The Shreya R. Dixit Memorial Foundation sponsors clubs at high schools in Minnesota. Currently four clubs operate at area high schools.
By leveraging Peer-to-Peer influence, these clubs execute projects to inculcate distraction-free driving behaviors. Club members are free to choose topics and communication media for creating compelling messages. In the process, they also:
- Become peer advocates for distraction-free driving
- Receive special leadership training from experts
- Earn volunteer hours with the work performed as a peer advocate
- Get access to US and State legislators and explore summer internships
- Find the opportunity to present at the Toward Zero Deaths Conference in held annually in Minnesota.
- Two students presented the work of three clubs at the 2016 conference and another group is slated to present at the 2017 conference
- Write blogs and create art work.
Public Service Announcement (PSA) Videos
We sponsor PSA competitions to raise awareness about the problem of distracted driving. in 2015, the foundation asked students to film, produce, and submit creative videos on the importance of driving distraction-free. We participated in EDU Film Fests hosted in the twin cities and awarded 8 students prizes for their work.
Annual Raksha Protection Vigil and 5K Run/Walk for Distraction-free Driving
The Foundation's annual Raksha 5K Run/Walk to Defeat Distracted Driving is one of our biggest events of the year. Taking place in the first week of August, it raises awareness for distracted driving. Community members walk in memory of Shreya Dixit and all those who have tragically lost their lives due to distracted driving.