Drivers Ed Stipends
As a leading advocate for distraction-free driving the Shreya R. Dixit Memorial Foundation invites applications for a $300 stipend to defray Driver-Ed tuition costs. Stipends are awarded to individuals after an application and selection process.
The program is open for residents of Minnesota. The foundation’s Stipend Program Committee will evaluate entries and select awardees.
*Although our foundation does not have a due date for submitting scholarship application, some schools may have set some requirements. Therefore, the foundation advises students to apply for scholarship four weeks before the start date of their driver-ed class. Please note that after approval, the scholarship check goes directly to the driver-ed school in the applicant’s name.
There is no age restriction for the applicants.
- Enroll in a driver-ed program at a state approved Driving School to obtain the Drivers’ License.
- Applicants must follow Application Guidelines and submit all required materials to be considered.
- Apply for the Foundation Stipend at least four weeks prior to the start of the program. Although our foundation does not have a due date for submitting scholarship application, some schools may have set some requirements. Therefore, the foundation advises students to apply for scholarship four weeks before the start date of their driver-ed class. Please note that after approval, the scholarship check goes directly to the driver-ed school in the applicant’s name.
- Sign up for BOTH classroom and behind the wheel training.
Award and Obligations
- The $300 Stipend will only be remitted directly to the driver education provider (not directly to the student) to defray the cost of driver education program tuition.
- Preference to applicants with a financial need will be given to 50% of scholarship awards.
- Awardees must attend the Shreya R. Dixit Memorial Foundation Walk/Run for distraction-free driving. The event takes place on the first Saturday in August.
Required documents to be submitted with the application:
1. An essay (300-500 words) describing the new and unique responsibilities that accompany becoming a licensed driver.
2. A creative/innovative/compelling original creation or medium prepared as an individual or team activity. Examples include: A poem, audio, video, graphic art, team project to address the following:
a. Driving is a responsibility.
b. Driving requires decisions that can seriously impact the driver, passengers, and other drivers on the road.
c. Always make the right decision behind the wheel.
d. Identify and make effort to avoid any distractions while driving.
e. Specify factors that affect a driver’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
f. Actions that can be done to influence peers, co-workers, parents, seniors to avoid risky driving behaviors due to:
i. Physical and visual distractions inside and/or outside of the vehicle
iv. Communication/entertainment devices
3. One letter of recommendation from your teacher, mentor or driver-ed instructor.
4. List any academic honors, memberships, offices held, extra-curricular activities, volunteer work, community service, etc.
5. Describe (if any) special justification due to financial needs.
Please submit the application by mail to:
Shreya R. Dixit Memorial Foundation
17535 Alcove Cir
Eden Prairie, MN 55347 Please enclose the following:
☐ Completed Application Form
☐ Creative Medium
☐ Letter of recommendation
☐ Special Honors (if any)
☐ Financial Need Justification (optional)